Erie PA Home Buyers:
The New Construction Process
Thinking of building your own brand-new home in Erie County, PA but want to know more about the process and what it entails? Before you embark on the journey of building a new home, first find out just what the new construction process looks like.
Building a new home definitely doesn’t happen overnight, especially if you want to ensure a quality home that’s built right. Typically you’re looking at a timeline between 6 and 12 months, though this can go longer, depending on several factors, including your home size, the weather, and other unforeseen problems.
As you might imagine, the process of building a new home from the ground up is a little more involved than simply buying an already-built home. Here’s what the process looks like, from start to finish.
1. Find a Realtor. It’s crucial to find an agent who specializes in new construction and has good rapport with local builders.
2. Determine your budget, get pre-approved, and start your wish-list. Before you start talking to builders, make sure you know what you can afford and have an idea of what you’re looking for.
3. Shop land. There are numerous things you’ll want to consider when finding the right piece of land, in addition to finding the right location. You’ll want to also check whether your preferred subdivision or community works only with exclusive builders or requires a developer-approved builder. Your Realtor can help you with this.
4. Interview builders. Have your loan pre-approval and home wish-list handy as you start comparing offers from different builders. Once you find a builder, they can help you understand what’s possible for your budget, and whether your ideal home is compatible with your preferred land location and topography.
5. Start the architectural plans. During this time you will select the perfect lot and ensure that the home you want can be built on this type of terrain. Your architect can help you make necessary changes to your home designs based on your land.
6. Purchase the land. Your agent will help you make an offer on the lot and finalize your purchase contract. You’ll also complete your loan approval at this time.
7. Execute the build. This is where all the magic happens! Want to know more about the details of that process? Keep reading.
8. Acquire an occupancy permit. Your home will be inspected to ensure that all building codes are met and any necessary changes or modifications will be made. Then, you receive your permit.
9. Get your keys. Your builder will provide you with a copy of a brand-new set of keys to your beautiful new home.
10. Move in. Congratulations; you did it!
Want to know more about what happens during the actual construction phase of the building timeline? Here are all the details.
1. Planning. This is the “paperwork” phase when you meet with your builder to create and approve plans, then submit them to your local permit office. Your builder should handle all the legal aspects and acquire necessary permits, like building, electricty, and plumbing permits.
2. Laying the Foundation. First, the basement is dug out. Then, the concrete footer and foundation are installed, and the water and electric lines are brought in.
3. Framing & Major Construction. This is where you home starts to look like a house! Exterior and interior walls are constructed, structural steel is installed, and roof trusses are completed. Next, the roof is built and foam board and insulation are installed. Doors and windows come next, then HVAC, plumbing, water lines, and electrical wires. At this point, you’ll likely have some structural, electrical, and plumbing inspections to ensure everything is up to code.
4. Interior & Exterior Finishing. Now that the shell is complete, the details start appearing. Walls and roof are insulated, HVAC and fireplaces are installed, drywall is hung and painted, floors are laid, and things like cabinets, countertops, interior doors, and fixtures are installed. At the same time, brick or siding will be added, along with decks and porches.
5. The Finishing Touches. Once the last little details are complete, you and your builder will do a walk-through to make any last-minute adjustments. Your builder will educate you on the details and inner workings of your home. Then, it’s time to get your keys!
Building a Home in Erie, PA?
Still have questions about buying a new home in Erie, PA? Contact Marsha Marsh Real Estate Services. We’ll answer all your questions, help you understand the process of buying a new home, and guide you through, every step along the way.